Saturday 12 January 2013

more and more confused with things

A long time ago I applied to get into a program at a school in another city. I wanted to become a Medical Device Reprocessing assistant. It was ridiculous, as I had to take a bunch of prerequisite courses in 'effective team building' and medical terminology and all kinds of crap. It was stressful and very expensive. I probably paid around $1000 and a hundred hours of my damn time. Anyway long story short I worked hard and didn't get in and was secretly glad.

People told me I should call them and appeal, or ask to be waitlisted, or re-apply next year, but I chose to cut my losses and ... give up. End of story, right?

I thought so. So I forgot all about it and went on with my life, now able to tell whether or not a cold medication will stop me from coughing because I can read the label.

But yesterday this letter came in the mail for me from the school. It's very confusing, and I was hoping someone with some experience with business letters and/or vague school correspondence can help me understand what is going on here.


If you can't read it it says:

"Thank you for applying to the Medical Device Reprocessing program at Vancouver Island University. We appreciate the hard work and effort put forth in your application. The class for the January 2013, intake is now in session.
If you have any questions regarding the program please contact me at the phone number or email address below.
Thank you for considering Vancouver Island University to help you achieve your goals."

Why?

For serious, why did they send me this totally out of the blue? At first glance I thought it meant I had been accepted somehow and I missed the first class or something (not to mention the acceptance letter) and they were kindly writing to remind me to show up. But then it says "thank you for considering VIU..." And they appreciate my hard work?

And if I have any questions...???  Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have some questions. One, what is up with that random comma after the date? Two, what do you want from me? I think I may email this Melanie person and tell them to at least make their correspondence less ambiguous.