Wednesday 19 September 2012

kopi luwak


My cousin works in a cute little coffee shop and offered (super generously) to let my dad and I try some Kopi Luwak while I was in Calgary. Please tell me you know what that is so I don't have to explain it to you.

You don't?

You do?

That's right, it's the "cat poop" coffee.





Here's a very very overly dramatic video that explains everything. 


Hahaha they're totally trying to gross you out. And that Luwak had some kind of diarrhea I think. 

So anyway my cousin said "I'll buy you a tin, and I'll make it for you." and we thought "oh, what a nice thing to do!" and then she rang it up and this tiny fricking bag cost sixty dollars. It makes three cups of coffee. Damn girl, how much money do you make at a coffee shop?


Um yeah, super nice! Here she is making it for us. I had to quickly sneak a picture so my camera decided to focus on the muffins in the foreground instead of anything awesome. My bad.


We got certificates proving the authenticity of the coffee, we got certificates that look like diplomas proving we tried genuine Kopi Luwak from Indonesia, it was all very fancy.

I usually throw soy milk or some other kind of whitening substance into any coffee I drink but this just straight up didn't need it. I don't have a very refined palate to say the least but even I could tell that this was the damn smoothest, least acidic coffee I've ever drank in my life.

If I were a super rich billionaire, this is the kind of eccentricity I would allow myself. I always scoff when you see super rich people being all like "mm caviar" but I'd be like "mm, kopi luwak".  



Thanks again, Samantha. Wherever you are.*
 p.s. check out her band

* Calgary, probably. 
---

Have you ever wanted to try a weird or fancy food? Did you get to?