Sunday 28 April 2013

coconut scones



Ryan is getting stoked about going to the Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge Amphitheater out in Washington. It's a pretty huge annual festival, I'd say on par with but very different from Coachella. Although I've never been to either one so what do I know?

I'm not going this year, I didn't go last year either. I don't do well with crowds and my feet have chronic plantar fasciitis so I don't do well with standing a bunch, and frankly, being the panic-attack-having bag-sitter while everyone else goes and enjoys the music does not sound like a fun time at all.

At first I thought I wouldn't like any of the bands who are playing this year as well so I didn't really care that I'm not going, but now that the line-up has been announced I know I would have loved to see:

Atoms for Peace
Primus 3D (WTF do they mean 3D????? I'm so intrigued.)
Father John Misty
Red Fang
Nick Offerman (He's doing standup in the comedy tent.)

And there are a few more artists I think I would have enjoyed seeing live like:
 
Mumford & Sons
Sigur Ros
Elvis Costello
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Cake
Dropkick Murphys
The Tallest Man on Earth
Earl Sweatshirt
Torche
Elliot Brood

And there's like a hundred bands I've never even heard of before just now, as I'm looking at the website. But meh, it's too late, it's too expensive, it's a lot of time to take off work at the last minute, and who's gonna watch Tanky boy while we're away for a week? Me. That's who. 

This guy.

So anyway, Ryan has been on different message boards, talking with people about the festival and getting tips on the camping or whatever people do on those things, and he came across this gem last night:

A guy was asking whether or not there is internet access available at the Gorge because he's from Canada and the hockey playoffs would be going on during the time of the festival. And he's one of those guys who needs to keep updated on the scores. 

A girl chimed in, saying "No, sorry, there's no internet access there, but it's okay, all you have to do is walk around with a bag of wine and yell out COCONUT SCONES" and people will tell you the hockey score".

...

A bunch of people were like "what are you talking about?" and she said that last year she saw people walking around with Canadian flags shouting "coconut scones" and every time they did that someone would talk about hockey with them. It was the weirdest thing. 

Finally somebody on the message board figured it out ... they were saying "GO CANUCKS GO"


The thing that makes it so funny to me is how confused her and her friends must have been that entire time. What do coconut scones and hockey have to do with one another? And she believed this for nearly a year! Hilarious.